Ebates - cash back for most online purchases!!!!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

embrace your passions

I was reminded of a couple of fiscally sound ideas last night while hanging out with a friend.

The first one is less exciting - when you get junk mail with envelopes enclosed, many of them can be adjusted to be used by you as regular envelopes. Simply use a post-it, blank mailing labels for the printer, etc, and cover up the address already on it. The next time you need an envelope, you're using something that would have gone into the recycling anyway, and you don't need to buy the (not-exciting) mailing supplies

The other idea I was reminded of is much more of a party - think about your hobbies and passions differently. Whatever you like to do, I'm guessing you make or do more of it than is pracitcally useful for your own use. Many people do. So, if you like tying flies (guys - you can use this, too) or making homemade salsa or making homemade greeting cards, etc . . . use those as gifts. My dad's most overwhelmingly welcome and generously-viewed gift was a set of hand-tied flies from a younger man. My dad knew the time that went into them and was so excited by it and grateful for it!! Several of my family members actually get disappointed when I buy a more "normal" gift rather than making something - for my mom and mother-in-law, it's anything cross-stitched, or homemade greeting cards. My husband treasures his photo calendars I make for him. My sister-in-law and father-in-law are only excited on her birthday if cherry jam is involved.

It can be viewed another way - say you're a theatre buff - maybe you gift an evening at the theatre to someone (with or without you). Chances are, it will be a wonderfully received and memorable gift, in addition to an excuse hang out!

The options around this are endless. Being cheap doesn't have to be boring or a drag - it can be quite exciting to make new discoveries, however trivial. Last night, my friend told me I am so smart because I reuse envelopes. While I hope that isn't the extent of my mental facilities, it made me smile.

Garage sales and thrift sales are coming on with more regularity soon. Use charity and savings together as you think about these. By all means, clean out your unused/unwanted things and give them. Also, shop them. I have 2 main examples.

First, canning jars - I love canning. Canning jars are highly reusable, and many people have them sitting unused, so they are often at the sales - buying just rims and lids is cheaper than the whole jar. I also ran across a woman who had a box of jars and I traded her a couple of jars of canned goods for her box of jars - we both left thrilled and it was a totally chance discovery that we found each other's mutual desire for things we had readily available.

My mother is amazing at getting crafting supplies at charity sales - she gets cross stitch fabric, floss, good yarn, knitting needles, quilts and more at sales - I get some, but she's a master. She gives me much of what she finds. Last night, my friend and I were playing with picking out colors of floss for ornaments we are cross-stitching from the supplies I had on-hand thanks to my mother. We have also crocheted and knit from these. It's great because we either go to dinner first or put on a video part of the time - it's a girls night and a blast! Also, we work gradually on making gifts for our family and friends. Last year, I made a bunch of extras and was able to donate to charity. Another woman made a bunch of hats and asked for a set donation amount to a specific ministry event for each of her fleece hats - no profit, but great feelings and supporting a cause she loves. Get creative with what you like to do.

Do you wait around while kids are doing things? How about an older adult you help out? I keep a small plastic bag with cross-stitch ornaments in my purse and stitch a bit whenever I have a wait. Even with the individual times don't add up, the total from the week does! My friend from last night takes a crochet scarf with her while her son has a regular appointment and makes regular progess. Many bring books, which is also fabulous. I prefer audio books so that I can stitch, as well. Somehow the repetitive motion makes thinking through things different and more calming - it seems to bring order to random thoughts and helps me process.

Do you have ideas to share with me that will make me say "Brilliant!"? Even if it's a way to reuse envelopes, I'd love to hear it and so would others I hear from that read this blog. In fact, a woman at a local pharmacy told me she knew me from this blog not too long ago - who knew? Her favorite tip was one from Halloween, so I'd been watched for a while without knowing it. Let's all share our ideas and battle the economy by having fun and playing together! Have a fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment