Ebates - cash back for most online purchases!!!!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Electronic games

The lovely Steph informed me that I should't neglect my blog without her feeling lost :) Sorry, Steph, and here I am back again. Anyone who is curious about my absence - almost every member of our family has been sick for a week over the last 2-3 weeks, and I've been setting up for my new role as a we-behind-the-ears homeschool mom. It's been hectic :)

Today, my daughter wanted to spend some of her fun money that she had saved for after-Christmas sale shopping, as well as a gift card she'd received. We went to Target, at her request. It was disappointing to see how little there is for kids between age 6 and teenagers, honestly. She saw things that were interesting to her in the box, but she knew she'd bet bored of them very quickly. Most of our relatives got her books and art supplies for Christmas - a sure bet. However, I was sad for my little girl who is young enough to need to play and yet beyond many of the options that are age-appropriate for her.

We decided to check out games because she had amassed far more spending money than she usually has and we have a Wii, a PS2, and a Leapster2 (on its way out after todays' revelations). I REALLY don't like shopping the day after Thanksgiving through the day after Christmas, so we waited until today to brave the stores. Target was completely picked over for games. Their prices seem similar to Best Buy for Wii stuff, and we had the gift card for Target, so it seemed a safe bet - not today. I remembered my brilliant (and cheap) husband deciding to check out Game Stop last week, and there was one near us, so we decided to head over there. Why on earth does this cheap chick not think of secondhand gaming sooner? I have no idea - must be holiday hangover (I don't drink, but it exists nonetheless).

Right now, all pre-owned games are buy 2 get 1 free - except PS2, which are buy 2 get 2 free. Their prices are much more fun. It's completely overwhelming, however, especially after wading through materials for a girl who is in a category where most things are either too young or too old for her . . . We stood there, wandered the tiny store, and felt lost for a while. I was determined, so I walked up to the front desk - a production when this tiny place housed more people than the electronics department at the Target a couple of doors down . . . When they asked if they could help, I said, "We're overwhelmed. She's 7, but needs something more challenging, yet age appropriate in material." I told him what games we had, and he asked for her reaction to each of our games. Soon, we had 5 viable choices - all pre-owned, ranging from $7-$18 and all part of the deal. It was wonderful! He recommended web sites to help me out of my stuck spot on my own game on the Wii, recommended a review web site to help me find direction in the future, and forwarded that we have 7 days to get all of our money back if we are not satisfied for any reason - such as getting through all of the contect, just not liking it, etc. I'm a believer.

She chose 3, and we checked out. We went through a mental list of our games at home while in the car, thinking about any trades we might want to make in the future, etc. We believe in moderate screen time. However, we didn't get her any games for Christmas, and she got a whole library of new books, so this was amazing! I highly recommend it.

Anyone interested in some New Years resolutions to help avoid the New Years/Post-Christmas bills in future years? Stay tuned - that's where I'm headed next :)

No comments:

Post a Comment