Ebates - cash back for most online purchases!!!!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Post-Holiday Pain - AKA Bills

This is the time of year where we hit those sales and find all sorts of things we didn't know we needed or didn't get from Santa . . . or at least is seems that way for many. January and February are traditionally months where people try to tighten their belts and pay off the holiday bills. This year, I recommend being proactive, as well - avoid that trend for next year &/or pay those bills quicker this year. Here are some things that have worked for me.

First of all, think about what you enjoy. For me, movies is a big thing. Watching movies is probably not going to help me pay off bills or do anything else significantly productive. However, I can still use that. Guys, before you read on and I lose you, this is also for you - hang tight & you'll see.

I like doing things with my hands. Last night I had the pleasure of hanging out with a dear friends and planning. I have a bunch of cross-stitch fabric, yarn, floss, etc. that my mother found super cheap at garage and charity sales, and it's more than I can use on my own. Teri and I like to talk, and I asked if she was interested - she was. Last night, we each chose a cross-stitch pattern and gathered the needed supplies. We chatted and stitched. We will be using these for gifts for next year. Teri was also able to find hunter orange yarn on sale after Christmas & is working on scarves for the hunters in her family for next year, also. Great idea!!

Guys, my husband would be appalled if I suggested you cross stitch. Knowing how to sew on buttons in a gender-neutral life skill - know how or learn, please. Some of the great things my amazing father and brother have done include gorgeous wood cutting boards - some pretty with different woods, and some cut in fun shapes, etc. My brother makes his own wine & that makes a great gift for many people. I know another man who did that and beautiful wood boxes, as well as small clocks all the time. My father has done that as well. My husband wanted to make something special for his sister and her family when they bought a cabin so he used a wood burner (courtesy of my mother) to make a sign with their name on it - it is hung above the door to the guest house at their cabin :) Another man overwhelmed my father with the gift of hand-tied flies for fishing - a fabulous gift, as well. Are you thinking you don't have these skills but have something you'd like to know how to do? Maybe your social time can also be gift-making time this year. How about taking the kids to a pottery decorating place (they're lots of places), or trying your hand at brewing beer - they have places that let you use their equipment, so your involvement can be more limited . . . there are also great places where you can make flavored vinegars, etc. If you're a foodie, this is cool! There are great places out there if you're interested in wood carving - also something people can do while watching movies (which makes me feel OK about indulging my movie fetish :)).

Speaking of kids - they make amazing things and feel great being included! Try the layered cookie mixes in jars. Pick your own berries with or without kids this summer and make jam for gifts. Like to grow tomatoes? Try some of the yellow ones for a reduced-acid and unique tomato sauces for gifts this year - they're like cherry tomatoes, but yellow and we had great luck with them. You can make your own sundried tomatoes, as well, or salsa, which can be a fabulous gift.

Thinking you'd rather keep the stuff? Keep at least some of it - absolutely! Also, recognize, that it may be cheaper to buy tomato plants and work on that than buying good sauce - you might even like it better & it can be easy. Maybe I'll post some easy recipes this Spring :)

NOT CRAFTY? NO PROBLEM!

Often, we use credits from different places for our gifts and/or necessities throughout the year. Check out your options, as well. Like to surf the internet? Sign up for Swagbucks as your search engine (linked on this page) - I earn Amazon credits that work toward necessities and/or gifts. They also have free games that earn you additional credits, as well as TV clips on all sorts of topics from animals to cookies to celebs, etc. Watching those earns you credits, as well.

Do you have gift cards you don't need/want? I got 2 $15 gift cards from some very thoughtful people who just dont' know that I don't drink coffee. Guess what - I love the juices and things they sell there, and will be enjoying that. Gift cards also sell for close to full value on eBay and I've had great luck with that. Plastic Jungle and Gift Card Rescue are great places to go to save money on a purchase you're intending, or to sell gift cards - the minimum value they work with is $25, I believe.

Maybe you got a Nook for Christmas and want fewer dusty books, or a device that leaves you wanting fewer CDs/DVDs, etc. Check out cash4books (linked on this page) and second spin (also linked on this page) to get a bid before you send them. As long as you have a minium number (maybe 5?), they even pay shipping. Also, Amazon has the "have one to sell?" button on many items and you can get credits for your stuff while they do the fulfillment. The amazon one is what I'm about to try. Craigslist has had mixed results for me - it's great for larger, bulky items, in my opinion. Whatever you can't sell or get what you want from it, donate! The tax deductions for donations can be incredibly significant - our accountant is amazed with ours every year - you can donate a lot without a lot of cash added (however, I highly recommend tithing as a minimum before all else - God will bless your resources when you put Him first - end of sermon).

Other resources we love for purchasing and selling are Half Price Books, Once Upon A Child and Turn Style - add GameStop as a new fave :) It has been incredibly freeing to unload things! Dave & I are big believers in it. We love to pass on things to people we know when they are wanted - kids books most recently. It's great when you get a little bit for stuff you're not using, and it feels awesome just to get it out of the house! Long ago, I heard something that is a mantra - 80% of the time, you use 20% of your stuff; 100% of the time, you maintain 100% of your stuff. I'm trying to change that stat for us!!

Got Christmas stuff you don't want out next year? Pop it in a bag or box and label it, then bring it to Turn Style or a donation center or something next Fall!

Finally, enjoy what you have. This season seems to encourage busyness and grabbiness - just look at the news about shopping violence - seriously?! Take time out to enjoy what you have - you'll be happier, less tempted to grab more, and incurring less debt. You might also have some fabulous relationships and experiences!

God Bless you in your 2012 adventures - I'd love to hear your ideas that I might try, as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment